Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Troubadour

Andrew and I just got back from the showing of the Sundance documentary Troubadours, which tells the story of the famous venue in California and the singer-songwriters who became famous there: James Taylor, Carole King, Jackson Browne, Kris Kristofferson, Elton John and many others.

I haven't written a really personal post in a while, mainly because I haven't had a lot to say. Life whirs by, and a lot of the days are the same. But this documentary struck a chord (pun intended) with me tonight, and I can't stop thinking about how much the music has affected me since I turned 16.

Do you ever feel like you were born in the wrong era? Not really -- we all know we were born at a certain time for a reason -- but like you really would fit in a different time period? The music from the singer-songwriters, especially James Taylor, really resonates with me.

The day I was diagnosed with cancer at 16, I remember sitting in the car listening to James Taylor's greatest hits CD with tears streaming down my cheeks. "Fire and Rain" and "You've Got A Friend" both spoke to me, and I knew, while I was listening to them, that everything would be OK.

Tonight, listening to the Carole King, James Taylor, Eagles and Jackson Browne songs, made me feel that way again -- like everything's going to be OK. I felt so peaceful as we were leaving, and I am now buying the James Taylor and Eagles songs I don't have from Amazon. :)

I guess the point of this is to find the music that speaks to you and makes you feel warm and happy. For me, that's everything James Taylor. What is it for you?


2 comments:

  1. How can someone be so beautiful bald? Sheesh! The song, "Whenever I see Your Smiling Face", by James Taylor and Earth, Wind and Fires "September" always puts a smile on my face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John Denver always made me feel that way.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your beautiful thoughts! I love reading them.