Sunday, November 21, 2010

An attitude of gratitude

Hi, friends! I haven't posted in awhile because I've felt a little boring -- which is odd, since I had one of the busiest weeks in awhile and all I wanted to do was sit down at the end of the day and unplug.

I thought this picture from a few months back was particularly appropriate, because I'm feeling incredibly grateful to be going to IDAHO this weekend to spend Thanksgiving with my family. I'm only four hours away, but I find myself missing the peace and quiet of my hometown and wanting to spend just a little bit of time in St. Anthony, seeing all the people I know so well.

This post is also my chance to mention just a few things that I'm grateful for. After Andrew's priesthood blessing two weeks ago, I started realizing how truly blessed I am, and how awful it is to constantly be wishing for something better. Here is my list of things I'm grateful for.

Andrew. I really should change the name of this blog to "Lindsay goes on and on about Andrew," because I rarely have a post now without him in it. But he is an incredible man! I think back to last year's Thanksgiving, wondering what plans Heavenly Father had for me. One year later, I'm married to a man who makes me laugh, who takes me on Del Taco runs when I'm hungry and grouchy and gives me a kiss before he leaves each morning.

Our apartment. After talking to a few of our neighbors in the ward last week, I realized how much we lucked out with our apartment. Sure, it's old, has teal walls in the bedroom and had no cell phone reception until we bought a cell phone extender. But we have a very nice landlord who has been extremely generous with the rent. Who cares what color the walls are? We may be painting them soon anyway. :)

Friends. It's never been easy for me to make friends, and sometimes I feel a little lonely in Salt Lake when I'm away from my family. Last week, I unexpectedly got to reconnect with one of my best friends from college, and it felt wonderful. I realized how much I need friends, and how much I need to keep in touch with the friends I have.

Family. My family grew A LOT in August, and I've loved getting to know Andrew's parents and siblings better. It's also fun to suddenly become an aunt and have nieces and nephews that like me and give me hugs when I leave. I've also realized how much I value my parents and my siblings. They are always calling to make sure I'm OK and to see how Andrew is doing.

I wish I was more grateful all the time, but Thanksgiving is the perfect time to remember and maybe do better in the future. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your beautiful thoughts! I love reading them.