Thursday, February 14, 2013

Five reasons I love Andrew


I know this is a late post, but I can't let Valentine's Day go by without just briefly talking about my wonderful husband. He plays kind of a behind-the-scenes role on this blog, especially lately when I've been dabbling in fashion blogging and posting weekly pictures myself. But he is a huge influence on what I write, what I say and how I feel — in the best possible way.

So here are just five reasons I love Andrew and am so grateful for him on this Valentine's Day:

1. He buys me children's books and has them shipped to me at work since he knows I love getting mail. Last week, right before we left on a romantic getaway to Heber, I got Olivia in the mail and was totally caught off guard and so excited. This boy knows me too well.

2. He encourages me to follow my dreams. I have known for a long time that I am a storyteller and that I'm meant to share those stories with other people through writing — and Andrew understands that and understands my need to prove myself and continue to get better and better at writing and editing. He reads my blog and listens when I hash out grammar pet peeves, and he is supportive of my incredible job and helps me to push myself harder and harder.

3. He remembers little things that I like and surprises me with them. A few months ago, Andrew bought me a new watch he saw on sale online because it was red and he knew I would like it. He'll occasionally stop at Starbucks on his way home from work and bring me an Italian soda, and he sometimes scouts thrift stores for children's books on his lunch break looking for Berenstain Bear books.

4. He is really funny and makes even the most serious situation lighter. I have a flair for the dramatic, and Andrew is good at seeing the humor in situations that might otherwise be upsetting. He helps me to laugh about the braces, even when I'm feeling ugly and self-conscious, and he reminds me to see the good and lighten up.

5. He is more concerned about my happiness than his own. If I could just list one "secret of marriage" (not that I'm an expert, with only two years behind me), it would be focusing more on making your spouse happy instead of yourself. I have to work on this constantly, but it comes naturally to Andrew. He rarely thinks about himself and is always thinking about what I need and what will keep me happy. I know that I'm not always an easy person to love, but he makes love look easy with his kindness and unending selflessness.

I hope your Valentine's Day was equally wonderful, whatever relationship you're in! Ain't love grand?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your beautiful thoughts! I love reading them.