Monday, December 10, 2012

Music Monday: Christmas songs to sing


Last week I shared my top Christmas albums -- although I have to admit, I broke down and bought Sarah McLaughlin's Christmas album last night, and I'll probably have to add it to the list. I've wanted it ever since it came out and never ended up buying it (since 2005 was long before Amazon started offering tons of mp3 albums) until now. It's beautiful. And I'm currently obsessed with this version of "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" and already plotting a way to sing it with my family this weekend.

Which brings me to this week's post: the best songs to sing during Christmastime. A lot of these are songs that I like to sing personally, but others are songs that I've either sung with my family or with choirs throughout my life. If you go caroling, maybe this will inspire you to switch things up a little.

  • "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas." You can't go wrong with this classic. I remember singing this at a concert in seventh grade, and I've loved it ever since. It's simple and pretty.
  • "My Grown-up Christmas List." I like Michael Buble and Amy Grant's versions of this song best, but it has such a great message and I love singing it.
  • "O Holy Night." I'll actually be singing this song in a few week's for our church Christmas program, but I grew up hearing my dad sing it in church nearly every year. It makes me so happy inside.
  • "Prayer of the Children." This song is stunning when a choir sings it a capella. I always sang the traditional SATB version, but I have a men's choir version, too, that's great. It has an important message and beautiful harmonies.
  • "What Child Is This." I LOVE this song and have to sing it at least once during the Christmas season. I've also done a duet with my dad, and that's a lot of fun.
  • "Silent Night." No Christmas program is complete without "Silent Night." I really enjoy singing this a capella with my family when we're out caroling.
  • "O Little Town of Bethlehem." Don't you just love this song? It's one of my favorite hymns to sing with the congregation at church.
  • "I'll Be Home For Christmas." This song is really short, and I only realized that a few years ago -- it just has one verse and not really even a chorus. But it's beautiful, and I've always loved to sing it.
  • "Still, Still, Still." I have actually never sung this song (that I can remember), but I think it's so pretty and I'm looking forward to singing it with my family.
  • "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel." My dad also frequently sang this song at Christmastime, and I love it for its simplicity and stunning lyrics.
  • "Breath of Heaven." Beautiful melody, beautiful message. Whenever I sing this song, I feel so fulfilled and peaceful.

These are a few of the songs I love performing, both with my family and by myself -- although there are quite a few more hymns we sing, too, that I didn't include here. What are your favorites?

2 comments:

  1. O Holy Night is my all-time favorite Christmas song. It brings tears to my eyes! Wish I could be there for your performance!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your beautiful thoughts! I love reading them.