|Temple Square is lovely this time of year, as always.|
Clearly, not much is going on right now in my life because I am about to write another post in which I list a bunch of things that I like. But I figure that everybody likes to weigh in on their favorite movies, right? I'd love to hear your favorites in the comments, too, since I'm always on the lookout for great movies. Here are the chick flicks I love best, organized in no specific order:
- Emma. I just barely watched this movie again, and every time I do, I love it even more. How can you go wrong with a) an adaptation of a Jane Austen novel, b) dreamy Jeremy Northam and c) fantastic dialogue and costumes. The scene at the end where Emma and Mr. Knightley finally end up together is SO romantic. If you haven't seen this, find it online and rent it. Or just buy it. It's wonderful.
- Pride and Prejudice. I am referring to the 2005 version with Keira Knightley, but the BBC version is also great if you have five hours to spare. There's just something about the banter between Elizabeth Bennett and Mrs. Darcy that's endearing and fun to watch. And I love Donald Sutherland as the father. This is just a fun, light movie when you want to feel all warm inside.
- You've Got Mail. I have mentioned this movie on my blog many times, most recently in my tribute to Nora Ephron, but this is probably my all-time favorite movie. It has it all, and I am about to watch it again with a friend who has never seen it. I love watching people's reactions when they see this for the first time.
- While You Were Sleeping. This isn't that romantic (except when Jack proposes at the end! Awwwww), but it's hilarious and Sandra Bullock is so charming. Give this movie another watch if you haven't seen it in a while. It's pretty great.
- My Best Friend's Wedding. Another one of my very favorites, this movie has fantastic dialogue, a stellar soundtrack, Rupert Everett, cute Dermot Mulroney singing "The Way You Look Tonight" on a ferry boat and atrocious late-90s fashions. I need to watch this again. Love it.
- 27 Dresses. This is a newer movie, but I love the chemistry between Katherine Heigl and James Marsden, and the dialogue is fantastic. Plus, they dance to "Benny and the Jets!" So funny.
- Roman Holiday. Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck are both incredibly good-looking and make this movie easy on the eyes, but it's also incredibly romantic and full of emotion. Watch this on a quiet afternoon when you want to be transported back to 1950s Italy.
- Anne of Green Gables. Oh, man. These are some of my very favorite books, and the movies almost do them justice. Gilbert is good-looking and captivating, Anne is wonderful and it's set in beautiful Canada. The end of the movies is the most romantic (Anne of Avonlea), but they're both great.
- Sleepless in Seattle. Another great Nora Ephron film that I have mentioned several times on this blog before, this has Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan, whom I love. It's sappy and unrealistic, yes, but so great at the same time.
- Kate and Leopold. Hugh Jackman is absolutely charming (and good-looking, of course) in this movie, but I actually think Breckin Meyer steals the show here. Either way, this show is romantic and wonderful. I love it.
I'm sure there are many other movies that I'm forgetting that I love, but it's late and I did make it to 10. Now you go. What are your go-tos when you want something romantic and fun?