Thursday, July 19, 2012

A great visit


After several months of praying for my visiting teacher to actually visit, I got a call on Tuesday from Peg, a sister in the ward I've admired since I first met her when we moved in. She had just been assigned to be my visitor teacher and wanted to come visit me, and tonight she came by.

I am embarrassed to say that I started crying when we started talking, because I was so grateful to have her come. Don't take this the wrong way. I am doing really well. I don't have any health problems right now, I absolutely love my job and our new ward is great. But sometimes I get lonely and really homesick for Idaho, and I just want a friend to talk to.

Peg is 60 and a grandmother of 12, and you wouldn't think she'd have much in common with me, a 25-year-old. But just within the 20 minutes she was at my home, we discovered that we both like scrapbooking and making cards, traveling (she just went to Tahiti with friends for her 60th birthday) and Snelgrove ice cream. She's super nice, and I feel a connection with her already.

I guess I'm just emotional today and missing my mom terribly, but I started crying again when Andrew got home from class and I told him I finally have a visiting teacher who will visit me each month. It's another witness to me that Heavenly Father answers prayers and gives the leaders of the ward inspiration, even when it's something as simple as assigning someone a new visiting teacher.

If you ever feel like you don't make a difference in someone's life, think again. I don't think Peg had any idea how much her visit meant to me today -- and I'll never know how much the ladies I visit each month look forward to knowing someone cares.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your beautiful thoughts! I love reading them.