Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Pedal to the metal

So, it's official -- I am getting braces December 1. Merry Christmas to me.

The good news, however, is that my sister-in-law recommended an orthodontist in American Fork who is charging $2,000 less than the original orthodontist I got a consultation with. It is unbelievable that there is that much of a difference between two offices that are only about 45 minutes apart. Ridiculous.

I'm definitely not looking forward to the braces (who would be?), but I am looking forward to finally getting the problems with my teeth straightened out. I have always been very careful with how I smile, especially the last several years when I noticed that my teeth had gone back to where they were before the braces at age 14, but I'm hoping that the braces will not only straighten my teeth permanently but will also prevent any problems later in life with bone damage.

I'm also feeling particularly grateful for the things that I have right now and feeling very humbled. There is a saying something along these lines that has been in my head lately: "Be grateful for the trials you have, because if you knew what other people were going through, you'd beg for your own problems." Lately, I've discovered things friends are experiencing that are absolutely heartbreaking -- things that make me feel overwhelming gratitude for the time of life I'm in now.

I think it's human nature to be envious, no matter what you have. It's easy to forget all the things you do have and focus on the things you don't and the talents you're lacking. I'm envious sometimes of bloggers who can refashion old clothes and make crafts out of stuff laying around the house. I'm envious sometimes of women who have straight, easy-to-style hair and don't feel like they're taming a rat's nest every day. I'm envious sometimes of women who own a home and can decorate it however they'd like.

And then I realize that there are probably people who are envious of me! I am married to a wonderful man, I have a great job, I have a nice car that runs, and I have so many blessings in my life that I don't even think about. Heavenly Father throws curve balls from time to time, like He does in everyone's life, but I have no reason to feel down on myself or wish for something more.

So when I get braces next month, I'm sure I'll have a few tears at first. That's just me -- I have to cry things out sometimes. But I'm going to look at this in a positive way and remember that it's a blessing to have a bit saved up for things like this. And I'm going to stop myself when the "green-eyed monster" of envy starts creeping back in. There's too little time in the day to let her affect me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your beautiful thoughts! I love reading them.