Thursday, November 10, 2011

Country music continued

As promised, here is a follow-up post to yesterday's run-through of CMA winners. But before I list a few of my favorite artists, I have to tell you something that really bothers me: people who, when they hear that you like country music or happen to hear a few bars of something that sounds even remotely like a country song, automatically say, as if on cue, "I HATE country music."

This is like saying you hate American food when really you just hate onion rings (like I do). There's no way you could hate every country song or the entire genre, because it's like any other kind of music. Some songs/artists are incredible, and others are annoying and have so much twang in their voice that you can't stand to listen for more than 30 seconds. And I will be the first to say that I do not like country Christmas music AT ALL (but that is a post for another day). Anyway, if you're one of those people -- like my sister -- who think you hate country music, I implore you to give one of the following artists a listen.

The Band Perry: This group is pretty new, but I absolutely LOVE the song "If I Die Young," and I think you'll also like it, even if you're not a country fan. Check it out if you haven't heard it already -- the music video is adorable, too. And I want the dress Kimberly Perry wore during her CMA performance yesterday badly. The picture below doesn't really do it justice, but it's cherry red and covered in sequins. Impractical? Obviously. Would I ever have a place to wear it? Definitely not. But I love it just the same, and I know I could rock that dress. :)

Source

Zac Brown Band: Oh, this band could sing the phone book and I'd drink it in. All of their stuff is wonderful, but I really love "Colder Weather" (see if you can find the version featuring Amos Lee for an amazing treat -- unfortunately, you can't buy it, and all of the YouTube recordings are terrible). "As She's Walkin' Away" is also great, and it features the wonderful Alan Jackson!

Little Big Town: I have to admit that I haven't listened to their latest album, but I love "Boondocks" and "A Little More You." Their tight harmonies are incredible to listen to, and I like that one of the girls has really big, curly hair. It makes me feel better about my own wild hair. Just saying.

Lady Antebellum: This is another one of those groups that has a great sound, and Charles Kelley's voice makes me melt. I'm sure you've heard "Need You Now" on the radio (it was WAY overplayed), but I also like "Love Don't Live Here." They also have some pretty songs on their new album.

And I must add that I love the song "You and Tequila" by Kenny Chesney and Grace Potter SO MUCH right now. I could listen to it 10 times in a row and get tired of it. I have an off-on relationship with Kenny Chesney (actually, usually I don't like anything Kenny Chesney does -- especially after "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy"), but this song is folksy, slow and wonderful. Yes, I realize it is about tequila and no, I can't relate to alcoholism, but I just like the harmony and the melody so much.

I hope I have changed your mind a little if you were a country hater or just given you a few ideas of songs to listen to when you're looking for something to switch things up a little. I like that country songs always tell a story. They're not all great, but the ones that are make me a little bit happier. Just ask Andrew. All it took was four new country songs yesterday to keep me bouncing off the walls until well after midnight -- and just listening to them at work today on my iPod was enough to brighten up a long day.

1 comment:

  1. I've had my country music moments. I have listened to lyrics in awe. I'm not in the country mode right now, but I'm definitely not a hater.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your beautiful thoughts! I love reading them.