Friday, December 28, 2012

Fashion Friday: Splurges

Cardigan: Cotton On | Shirt: DownEast Outfitters | Jeans: Paper Denim & Cloth via Overstock (old) | Boots: Pink & Pepper | Necklace: Pick Your Plum

Can I just say I am NOT a winter person? We've received a bunch of snow during the past week, probably more than we received during the entire winter last year, and I'm already over it. Plus, it means that all of my pictures are super awkward because it's dark by the time I get home and I have to take them in my house.

However, I do have to say that I love seeing the mountains covered with snow and looking out my window at work to see a winter wonderland. Maybe snow isn't so bad after all -- only when I have to drive in it. :)

To combat the frigid, white weather, I've been wearing bright clothes and my new favorite necklace (a J. Crew knockoff). And my current addiction to Cotton On cardigans (from an Australian store new to the City Creek Mall in Salt Lake City with super cheap clothes) got me thinking about what I think everyone should splurge on -- and by splurge, I mean pay more than like $10 for. I'm pretty thrifty when it comes to clothes.

  • Sunglasses: I used to buy the cheap $8 sunglasses from Target or Wet Seal and wear them until they broke -- or my roommate sat on them for hours in the car (true story). Then I got a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses at half price through work a year and a half ago, and I've been hooked ever since. They're polarized, they look identical to pricey Ray Ban wayfarers and they make me feel like a movie star. Seriously. If you get a chance to buy polarized sunglasses for a good price, do it -- and then take ridiculously good care of them.
  • Tights: This is a silly one, but after I tore a fingernail, left a gash in my thumb AND ripped my favorite new pair of polka dot tights with the jagged nail, I realized how great nice tights are. Don't be tempted by the $3 pairs at Forever 21 or Wet Seal; they will last through maybe one or two wears at the most and get destroyed when you wash them. If you want tights that last, look for some at JC Penney or a similar store. Andrew can tell you that I mourned my tights for quite a while when I ripped the hole in them.
  • Jeans: I know people can spend more than $100 for a pair of nice jeans, but that's way more than I can afford. However, I have two pairs of designer jeans (like the ones above) that I got for a killer deal -- 20 bucks -- and I love them and can see why people shell out big bucks for them. They just fit so much better than cheap jeans do. So, to be clear, I'm not suggesting you spend a lot of money. But if you can get designer jeans on sale, spring on that and you'll be so happy.
  • Haircuts: After a really bad haircut at Great Clips in which my hair looked like it was straight out of the '80s, I vowed never to go to a cheap place with a stylist I didn't trust again. Fortunately, my cousin moved to Utah soon afterward and does a great job cutting my hair (though the pictures on this blog don't really show it).
Those are the big ones for me! What are the fashion/beauty things you have to splurge on?

4 comments:

  1. haircut/color...my hair is hard to cut, for some reason. And now just anyone is good with cut and color. This is one beauty splurge I must have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never splurge. But I've had fun with scarves this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha love this. I love the thrill of bargain hunting, but I would sell my car for a great pair of jeans. :O)

    I just wanted to pop over and say "hi!" and tell you how much I appreciate the comments you leave on my blog. They are always so sweet and it really means a lot to me. (And I feel like I need a communications major like you to go over every post before I publish it-I'm terrible at grammar and typos!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks, Disney! You just made my entire MONTH by posting a comment. I think you are so inspiring and lovely. :)

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your beautiful thoughts! I love reading them.