Friday, November 30, 2012

Fashion Friday: Brown and black

Cardigan: Mak via state fair | Dress: Target (on sale now for $8.74!) | Belt: Wet Seal (old) | Watch: Relic (also on sale for $33!)

I hate that one side of my cardigan flapped over, but whatever. It was freezing cold that weekend, and I just wanted Andrew to quickly snap my picture after church so we could run inside and get warm.

Did anyone tell you should never wear black and brown together? I always followed that rule -- until suddenly, a couple years ago, it seemed everyone was mixing black and brown. And for a long time, I watched people wear black pants and brown boots and tried to figure out how they made it look so fabulous.

Want to know the secret I finally realized? It's all about contrast. You still shouldn't wear black and chocolate brown together as a rule, because they're too close in shades. But pair a black dress or black skinny boots with a light brown belt or boots and you instantly look cooler.

Any fashion rules you've finally allowed yourself to break? I'm still hesitant to mix patterns, but I know people who can rock that look, too. Maybe soon I'll be brave enough to try that.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, I'm just a little disappointed I can't see what you're wearing on your feet but I'll get over it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connie -- You can blame Andrew for that, since he took the picture. :) But to be honest, you couldn't really see my shoes anyway because the dress goes all the way to the floor. I wore brown flats that matched the belt.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your beautiful thoughts! I love reading them.