Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Living to work


One year ago today, I started the most wonderful job at CHG. Apart from saying yes to Andrew nearly two years ago, the decision to take this job was the best one I ever made.

I am seriously SO HAPPY with my job. I love the people I work with, I love the company and its important work and, most importantly, I love the work I'm doing every day. I get to meet interesting employees every day and write stories about them, send out emails about the fun events the company is participating in (they distributed wildflower and carrot seeds for Earth Day -- how cool is that?) and take pictures and work on the design of our cultural blog, CHG Pulse.

Today was actually kind of bittersweet, however. I wrote a story about five amazing women who work in our Fort Lauderdale office that I was particularly proud of, and then I discovered that a woman who works just a few cubicles away from me is battling Hodgkin's Lymphoma for the second time, the cancer I faced nearly nine years ago. Deidra's story was heartbreaking for me to write because I was suddenly filled with memories of my own battle -- and wishing there was something I could do to make the journey easier for her.

I have stressful days just like everyone else, and sometimes I just want to sleep in and stay home, but I absolutely feel that I have found my calling in life. I was born to be a writer. I've always known that. But now, more than ever, I know that I was born to be a storyteller -- and I am fulfilling that dream every day when I get to share these incredible employee experiences with the world (the small one that actually visits CHG Pulse).

I hope all of you get the chance to have a job you love -- or pursue a dream and see it fulfilled, even in a way you never expected. It's an incredible feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your beautiful thoughts! I love reading them.