Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Ten Virgins


Even though I've now moved away from the Park Ward in Murray, they asked me to come back and participate in a musical program called The Ten Virgins last Tuesday. I have to admit that I was hesitant. If you know me, you know that I do not like Mormon pop. I dislike most of the music on the EFY soundtracks everyone had growing up, and it irritates me to no end when people get up and sing awful arrangements of hymns or, worst of all, "The Olive Tree." I can't tell you how many times I heard that song in my ward or at stake meetings.

And I will say that I didn't like all of the songs in The Ten Virgins, but there were four that were really stunning -- and the messages were beautiful.


The Ten Virgins is just what it sounds like: Ten women each play a different virgin from the Bible story (five prepared and five unprepared) and a narrator tells their stories before they sing their songs. I was Gabriella, one of the virtuous virgins, and sang the duet called "More" with Adi, one of the virgins who failed to fill her lamp with oil. It really resonated with me, because it's all about becoming more with the Savior's help and becoming worthy to see Him. I felt proud to be a part of the program and could see how the music and the message really touched the members of the Relief Society.

Here are some of the other ones I thought were particularly beautiful. If you're on the lookout for pretty LDS music to play on Sunday (like I often am), you'll be excited to know that you can buy them individually on iTunes; the entire album is also only $10.

- "Nothing Matters More"
- "More"
- "Lantern Light"
- "Only One" (probably my very favorite)

If you're not familiar with the music, I encourage you to listen to it and to think about the story of the ten virgins from the Bible. Since Tuesday, I've really been thinking about what I could do better to prepare for the Second Coming and how I can let the Savior influence my life. I really can be more with His help -- and I'm sure there are little ways that I'm already filling my lamp with oil and ways that I can make it overflow.

Just wanted to share that on this beautiful Sunday. I hope your Sabbath day was wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your beautiful thoughts! I love reading them.