Wednesday, January 2, 2019

5 ways to be a minimalist this year



It all began in 2003, when I read the book The Gospel According to Larry, a fictional story about a teen who only has 75 total possessions and is committed to living a minimalist, anti-consumerism life. While I certainly don’t limit myself to 75 possessions (I have a love for cardigans that makes this impossible), I do try to limit the amount of things I hold onto and bring into my home. I’ve found that doing this makes me happier, keeps my home cleaner, and brings a spirit of gratitude for what I do have. Here are five tips for becoming a minimalist this year.

Stop accepting free stuff


We all love to hear that something is free, even if it’s not REALLY free (like those BOGO deals where the shirt really ends up being 25% off and you have to buy two of them). Each time I start a new job, I get a swag bag with stuff like branded inflatable beach balls, mouse pads, notebooks, and cups. I appreciate the gesture, but I don’t need this stuff on my desk or in my home. It’s the same with t-shirts they give out at company-sponsored events or the water bottles set on your desk during employee appreciation week: You don’t need them.

What to do:
  • Immediately put all the swag you get that you’ll never use in a bag and donate it to a homeless shelter or thrift store. I fortunately live near several places like this and can drop them off on my way home from work.
  • Politely decline if someone is ordering t-shirts or other gear for an event and asks for your size. You obviously can’t do this if you need to wear branded clothes to represent your company, but you CAN do it if it’s a company gift.
  • Walk through a benefits or wellness fair only to get information, not to scoop up new pens or booklets or handouts about life insurance (which brings me to my next point).

Use your phone instead of paper


One of the biggest things I do to keep clutter away is avoiding paper whenever I can. This is a bit of a paradox, because I am a writer and drool over pretty notebooks and journals at Target (but I tell myself it’s OK to look at them, not buy them). I email agendas whenever I can, I try not to print talks or lessons out unless I absolutely have to (that’s what tablets and apps are for), and I rarely take notes on paper, other than jotting down groceries we need on a magnetic paper pad on the fridge. Avoiding paper helps you eliminate the piles of things to sort through on your counter, and it’s also better for the environment.

What to do:
  • Put appointments in the calendar in your phone instead of taking an appointment reminder card that you’ll probably lose anyway (or forget about).
  • Take a photo of your kids’ school schedule and put reminders of important dates in your phone so you don’t have to keep a flyer. If possible, avoid taking the paper at all.
  • Encourage people who are used to getting paper copies to accept emails or texts instead so you don’t have to print documents off and store them.
  • Take photos of receipts you need to keep, and immediately recycle the paper.

Sign up for paperless statements and recycle all paper


There are not enough words to convey how much I despise junk mail and unnecessary notifications. Andrew left his job at the bank more than three years ago, and we continue to get letters from them several times a month (sometimes weekly) about his (no-longer-active) benefits or about passwords that were changed. I have been on a crusade to eliminate junk mail for several years now. I have emailed companies and asked them to stop sending unsolicited coupons and catalogues. I’ve even called to have our address removed from mailing lists. It has made some difference, but we still get way more junk mail than I would like.

One way you can put a stop to this is by signing up for e-statements at your bank and for all your utilities, if you haven’t already. Many insurance companies also offer e-statements and send you paper only if a bill is due. This is not only better for the environment, but it protects you against identity theft and fraud as well.

The other habit I’ve put in place is immediately sorting through the mail when it comes and putting anything I don’t need in the recycling bin. I actually do this while I’m still outside the house so I don’t even bring the extra paper inside (although I am less likely to do this in January, because it’s freezing and I normally just sprint to the mailbox).

What to do:
  • Stop saving envelopes. If you need to save a friend’s new address, open up contacts in your phone and type it in there. Then recycle the envelope immediately.
  • Recycle cards after you read them. It’s nice to send thank-you cards (and I believe you should still send handwritten cards for certain occasions), but once you’ve read the message, you don’t need to keep it. I also recycle Christmas cards once the holidays are over.
  • Make a “kind things” notebook for things you don’t want to forget. I have a composition notebook in which I write down compliments I’ve received or sometimes glue in pieces of cards or recognition from work. It’s fun to look back on memories and is a good way to hold on to nice words without actually keeping all the paper.

Don’t feel guilty about getting rid of gifts


Christmas just ended, and you probably got something you don’t really need or want. It is OK to get rid of it. Let me say that again for emphasis: It is OK to get rid of it. I rarely remember what I gave someone as a gift more than six months ago, and your friend/parent/cousin/aunt probably won’t remember either. You are in charge of what you bring into your home, and if a certain gift does not fit in your life, exchange it, sell it, regift it (obviously to someone who could really use it), or donate it. This applies not only to holidays but every time you receive a gift.

And if you’re one of those people who asks friends how they’re enjoying the gift you gave them five years ago or give people weird things like ice cream cone makers (we actually got one for our wedding), you need to reevaluate your gifting policy. If you want to get rid of your unwanted gifts guilt-free, let other people do that, too.

What to do:
  • Sell, return, or donate gifts you don't want as soon as possible after you receive them. If you don't want something now, you're not going to want it six months from now.
  • Don't keep things just because a loved one gave them to you. It's one thing to keep a family heirloom, but it's another thing entirely to keep a set of books you'll never read just because they belonged to your grandpa.
  • Get rid of your kids' unwanted gifts, too. If your great-grandma gives your baby a stuffed animal every time she sees him, you don't have to feel obligated to keep it. You can start teaching your kids about giving away what you don't need at an early age.

Stop keeping things because you might be able to sell them one day


We’ve all paid too much for something we really wanted at the time and then rarely or never used it. Holding on to that treadmill or those albums or the Star Wars action figures just because you might use them or because they’re “worth a lot of money” isn’t going to bring your cash or your time back. Some things, like Star Wars memorabilia, may actually be worth money, but most of the stuff you’re holding onto probably isn’t.

Rather than keeping a pile of stuff, try selling it — but give yourself a deadline. List an item on Facebook Marketplace, your local classifieds website, or eBay for 30 days. Commit to lowering the price or promoting it online for those 30 days to try to recoup some of your money. Once the 30 days are over, though, donate whatever you didn’t sell.

What to do:
  • Take gently used clothing to places like Plato’s Closet or Kid to Kid. You won’t get as much money here as you would by selling them on a classifieds site, but this is a way to get a little cash back.
  • Pay attention to seasons when selling. If you list that brand-new swimsuit in October, you probably aren’t going to sell it (or you’ll make basically nothing).
  • Give yourself permission to just donate unwanted belongings. Selling can be exhausting, especially if people want to haggle or don’t show up to purchase something. If you’re not sure whether you’ll make any money or just don’t want the hassle, it’s fine to just donate your belongings instead.

I have a million more things to write about this topic, but hopefully this helps you jumpstart your journey toward being more of a minimalist this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your beautiful thoughts! I love reading them.